Re: [SLE] Changing hardware IRQ's
  • From: Damon Register <damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 07:11:15 -0400
S Glasoe wrote:
Don't bother. Unless you can actually prove a problem with IRQ sharing, it doesn't matter. That is why you see the longer PCI hardware ID in which
That might be hard to do but in my experience (I admit it is limited)
it was and still is something worth investigating

include PCI bus #, slot#, position on the bus, etc. The actual IRQ is just another reference point or differentiator along the way.
sounds like the really funny way Solaris identifies stuff

Pre-1999/2000, the older systems at that time needed correct IRQ settings and usually would not share IRQs. That is really old-school these days. You may run into this on pre-400-500 MHz systems but it is less of an issue,
That may be true but I believe it hasn't gone away entirely and must
still be considered. I just ran into an IRQ sharing problem with a
SBS ARINC 429 card that would not work when sharing an interrupt and
even the vendor admitted their card didn't like sharing.

especially in Linux, because the PCI routines are much better about uniquely identifying each piece of hardware.
The SBS product is for Windows and it is a shame they don't have a Linux
version so I could see how that IRQ problem does with Linux. If there
was a Linux version, do you believe that it might actually behave
differently and perhaps even tolerate IRQ sharing?

Damon Register