Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans! -- So Very OT
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 06:43:59 -0700
Clayton,

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 00:20, Clayton wrote:
> > You want to know what racism is? It's the belief that there is such
> > a thing as race.
>
> Tell that to the people making the laws in the country I live in - no
> I'm not going to say what country it is - suffice to say that the
> problems in the country seen to be always blamed on a specific race
> or ethnicity that is a very visible minority here. They are going so
> far as to make laws that are specifically targetted at certain enthic
> groups.

And I would be the first to acknowledge that the social phenomena
surrounding so-called "race" are very real, very powerful and often
very pernicious.

I sometimes think that the reason your overt, KKK- or Nazi-style racist
is so angry is the cognitive dissonance of knowing that what they
expound is so very false.

And I would never suggest that people should discard their heritage and
customs. Then again, I think most societies have some negative customs,
a common one being a despicable attitude towards women. People often
point to custom as an excuse for nasty practices. Slavery was the
custom in parts of the Americas for a few hundred years. Custom does
not excuse immoral practices.

This could go on, and it shouldn't, of course. Not here.

I'm sorry to have done this, but race is a "hot button" with me, too, in
my own way.

> Now... if only we could convince everyone to use SUSE :-) Ha ha

Up with SuSE!!

Randall Schulz