Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans! -- So Very OT
  • From: Benjamin Belau <benbelau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 16:51:39 +0200
Randall R Schulz wrote:
Clayton,

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 00:20, Clayton wrote:

You want to know what racism is? It's the belief that there is such
a thing as race.

Tell that to the people making the laws in the country I live in - no
I'm not going to say what country it is - suffice to say that the
problems in the country seen to be always blamed on a specific race
or ethnicity that is a very visible minority here. They are going so
far as to make laws that are specifically targetted at certain enthic
groups.

And I would be the first to acknowledge that the social phenomena surrounding so-called "race" are very real, very powerful and often very pernicious.

I sometimes think that the reason your overt, KKK- or Nazi-style racist is so angry is the cognitive dissonance of knowing that what they expound is so very false.

And I would never suggest that people should discard their heritage and customs. Then again, I think most societies have some negative customs, a common one being a despicable attitude towards women. People often point to custom as an excuse for nasty practices. Slavery was the custom in parts of the Americas for a few hundred years. Custom does not excuse immoral practices.

This could go on, and it shouldn't, of course. Not here.

I'm sorry to have done this, but race is a "hot button" with me, too, in my own way.

Now... if only we could convince everyone to use SUSE :-) Ha ha

Up with SuSE!!

Randall Schulz

Gee, I sure had abit more fun then usual when I was reading through tech mails and came across this thread, but I seriously doubt this belongs here - maybe novel can setup a list rantingrandom@xxxxxxxx ;)

Greets,
--
Benjamin Belau
Support | IVV5 | Math | uni-muenster.de