Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 10:30:47 -0700
Peter Nikolic wrote:
On Monday 01 May 2006 23:49, Lew Wolfgang wrote:
< snip >
sheetrock (wallboard) (4 x 8 feet x

What i would like to know is where the dickens this name came from sheetrock what do you do get a hack saw with a 12 foot blade and cut some rock from the Quarry into sheets ..?..

I think "Sheetrock" may be a trade name for a gypsum-board product.

16 inches is the normal spacing if you look at most decent tape rules you will also see the metric size marked on it as well the little black dots every 400 mm if memory serves

Dual-marked measuring devices are not the problem. The issue is
manufacturing the various construction materials to metric sizes.
If you just relabel existing English sizes you loose many of the metric
advantages, if you make the materials to true metric dimensions
you loose compatibility with existing structures. Take the wallboard
example: the sheets are 4 x 8 feet in length and width. The 16-inch
stud placement means that the edges of the wallboard will align with
the studs for nailing/screwing. Also, floor-to-ceiling spacing is
8-feet, constraining that dimension too. So, the whole structure
would have to be designed/built to metric dimensions to take advantage
of mm/cm/m. This is what won't happen in my, or anyone else's, lifetime.

you mean of course 12mm not 1/2 inch easy to solve thats why you Skim a wall like that with fine plaster 1 to give a nice smooth finish
2 make up for slight diffeerances in thickness ect holes where some clutz has smashed the nail in to hard ect ect ect

I'm replacing single sheets of wallboard in an existing structure.
I don't want to have to replace everything. Also, building codes
require a minimum thickness for fire safety, so you couldn't legally
use a thinner board and skim it up to level. You'd have to replace
all the wallboard, which won't happen just to use true metric sized
Sheetrock.

1/2-inch). All of these various parts had to match existing
structure, including the sheetrock which goes on studs spaced
every 16-inches

not going on but just a particular gripe of mine these walls peopl put up expecting not to plaster them it's a cowboy way of doing things IMHO YMMV

Well, it's also a cheaper way of doing things. Plastering in all but
custom homes probably went away in the 1970's in the US (correct me
if I'm wrong!). Would you spend perhaps $20,000 or more for true
plastered walls in your house?

Regards,
Lew Wolfgang