Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 09:23:31 +0100

> >On 02/05/06, Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Well, it's also a cheaper way of doing things. Plastering in all but
> >> custom homes probably went away in the 1970's in the US (correct me
> >> if I'm wrong!). Would you spend perhaps $20,000 or more for true
> >> plastered walls in your house?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Lew Wolfgang
> >
> >Yes, it's quite normal here in the UK. I'm surprised that it has been
> >phased out in the US.>
>
> I think what the writer was referring to was not spackling between the
> joints of the plasterboard. No, real plaster on thin wooden boards
> (lath) probably has not been done in the US since the 40's.
> What plasterboard requires is spackle and tape at the joints.
> I can't imagine not doing that.
>
> --dm

Dont you mean Taped and Skimmed .. :-) ...

All plasterboard needs skimming before decorating else when you strip the
decoration of your choice off it damages the board then you need new
boards ..

Sorta makes sense to skim the palsterboards before you do any decorating
saves a few quid/dollars in the long run as well ..

Pete .

That sounds right to me. We've not done plaster and lath in the UK
for decades either. However, I actually live in a house with the
majority of the ceilings done in plaster and lath. It's old and is
slowly being replaced by board. The old method does still have to be
done in some listed buildings though.

You'll generally find that there are two main types of plaster, a base
coat and and top coat. The top coat only meant to be put on as a thin
skim.

Maybe it would be best to now drop this one? It isn't anything to do
with SuSE after all. With apologies to everybody for taking the
original subject so off topic.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay