Re: [SLE] Warning to Americans!(now going OT)
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 09:51:19 +0100
On 03/05/06, Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Carlos,

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 17:04, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Tuesday 2006-05-02 at 12:37 +0100, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > ... The solar energy is then used to split the
> > water. It doesn't take much in the way of electrical power to
> > produce the two gases after all.
>
> No, it takes the same energy as the combination of hydrogen and
> oxygen will produce later at the motor (or better, at the energy
> cell). More, in fact, considering losses.

Sadly, electrolysis is a very inefficient way to produce hydrogen gas.
And while it's true we've got so very much more solar energy than we
need, even after the biosphere gets everything it needs, it still is a
wasteful thing to do with a high-quality form of energy such as
electricity. If you want to store the energy, which is of course is a
practical necessity, since it's rarely needed in proprotion to its
availability, you do better to simply pump water uphill!
Electromechanical energy conversion (i.e., motors and generators) is a
lot more efficient than electrochemical conversion (batteries, fuel
cells and electrolysis).

> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson

Randall Schulz

Sorry guys, I should have made myself a little clearer obviously. I
haven't said that solar power would be the 'sole' form of automotive
power. I merely embrace it as a supplementary form of power.

But those comments about the inefficiency of electrolysis and solar
power? It doesn't matter if it is electrolysis produced by the suns
rays (photovoltaic) as it is free and is effectively going to waste
right now. Solar photovoltaic panels are getting more and more
efficient every year. Why not use them? Who knows, in a few years we
might well be able to power the wheels directly from solar power. Ok,
we'd all have to walk at night ;-))))) Admitedly, the biggest bug
bear in a solar powered car is the environmental cost of producing
storage cells for night time use. So we have to look at an
alternative to that. The day may come when we simply have to because
oil will be too expensive for even millionaires to purchase.

Of course, if anybody else has any suggestions regarding alternative
energy solutions then I'm willing to listen.

Perhaps we should take this over to the OT list? I'd very much like
to continue the debate as it is very interesting.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire