Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 19:43:36 -0700
On Wednesday 03 May 2006 09:34 am, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> "Bryan S. Tyson" <bryantyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Tuesday 02 May 2006 05:00 am, Kevanf1 wrote:
> >> I am now starting to think
> >> that SuSE will actually begin to push Gnome over and above KDE in the
> >> near future.  If this happens I truly believe it will be a big
> >> mistake.
> >
> > I think SuSE wants to go Gnome-only. They are half-heartedly continuing
> > to include it for now, because of user complaints, but I won't be
> > surprised to see them drop it entirely after a while, or at least
> > relegate it to a status of near-oblivion.
>
> We're supporting both GNOME and KDE - and just look at the current
> SUSE Linux 10.1 RCs, it contains both a good KDE and a good GNOME.
> The change is that with 10.1 we have - compared to e.g. 9.1 - not one
> but two desktops that we take special care of.

Though I understand your position, and I appreciate you sending an email to
the list, I cannot imagine that this is the prevailing opinion at
headquarters in Utah or Massachuset.

I can very easily see the tide slowly turning from one of emphatic support of
KDE to that of simple maintenance.

> There might be individuals - inside and outside of Novell - that would
> like a GNOME or KDE distribution, but the commitment for SUSE Linux is
> to support both,

As I imagine you will to some degree for some time. Thank you for your
comments.