Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: "Mark H. Harris" <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 22:29:44 -0500
On Wednesday 03 May 2006 21:43, kai wrote:

> I can very easily see the tide slowly turning from one of emphatic support
> of KDE to that of simple maintenance.

I am amazed at some of the comments on this thread. Ok, basics... Linux is not
Winblows... the desktop is *not* tied to the OS in Linux... the desktop is
*not* tied to the distribution in Linux... Suse doesn't support the KDE
desktop, the KDE community supports the KDE desktop... If Suse ever ships
without KDE (and it won't anytime soon) I will add the KDE desktop myself.
Suse (Novel) is an elegant packaged distribution. If it ever stops being an
elegant packaged distribution (Do I hear Oracle/Ellis coming?) then someone
else will come along and represent the linux OS community with a new elegant
packaged distribution. In the mean time, any packaged distribution is like
Legos... infinitely configurable... you don't like it---then change it. It
isn't complete---then add to it. I have used Gnome & KDE for several years...
I prefer KDE, but I like being able to switch between them... and sometimes I
even use twm (tiny window manager) with no desktop at all!

Use TCL/TK for the gui, Use C for the guts, use Java for nothing.

--
Kind regards,

Mark H. Harris <><
harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx