Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 09:27:37 +0100
On 04/05/06, Mark H. Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wednesday 03 May 2006 21:43, kai wrote:

> I can very easily see the tide slowly turning from one of emphatic support
> of KDE to that of simple maintenance.

I am amazed at some of the comments on this thread. Ok, basics... Linux is not
Winblows... the desktop is *not* tied to the OS in Linux... the desktop is
*not* tied to the distribution in Linux... Suse doesn't support the KDE
desktop, the KDE community supports the KDE desktop... If Suse ever ships
without KDE (and it won't anytime soon) I will add the KDE desktop myself.
Suse (Novel) is an elegant packaged distribution. If it ever stops being an
elegant packaged distribution (Do I hear Oracle/Ellis coming?) then someone
else will come along and represent the linux OS community with a new elegant
packaged distribution. In the mean time, any packaged distribution is like
Legos... infinitely configurable... you don't like it---then change it. It
isn't complete---then add to it. I have used Gnome & KDE for several years...
I prefer KDE, but I like being able to switch between them... and sometimes I
even use twm (tiny window manager) with no desktop at all!

Use TCL/TK for the gui, Use C for the guts, use Java for nothing.

I'll roll some replies up into one. First Andreas, I know that you
are being 100% sincere but, I only reported to the list what another
SuSE/ Novell employee has stated and is in print in the public domain.
I added my thoughts and made it quite explicit that they were my
thoughts. I have changed my opinion from previously. I do believe
that at some point SuSE/Novell will cease to offer the KDE. That
doesn't mean that we, as SuSE customers/users cannot install it
ourselves of course.

SuSE/Novell do indeed support the KDE at this present moment. Their
are specific tweaks added by SuSE/Novell to the KDE to improve
interaction with SuSE.

Finally, Kai. Sure, no problem. However, in a day or two the full
article may be online where everybody will be able to read it and make
their own judgements. If it isn't then I will certainly scan it in if
I haven't done so already and I can send it to anybody who desires a
copy.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay