Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: George Stoianov <gstoyanoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 08:37:47 -0400 (EDT)
<snip>
> If I were interested in windows I'd
> be using .NET which
> is MS branded Java. But the smart coders are going
> to START with a
> cross-platform, cross-desktop tool in the first
> place and won't be
> asking Novell (or any other Linux distro) which
> desktop to write their
> application for.
</snip>

I use Java for pretty much all my needs it is cross
platform and I can find a job in a company that pays
money for java knowledge. My questions is why did
GNOME had to choose C# and port .NET, not that I am
against that or approve it...but what is the political
reason. Aren't there other languages like Python for
example that are completely open source and could have
been used??? Or is it because all school will teach
C#, I would say VB.NET more likely, that they went
with that language???

I think making something work on Windows by writing it
on MONO, so it does work in Linux too is just a
strange idea. I mean if my thing is competing with the
armed to the teeth guy next door using VS.NET in which
he made a few VB.NET forms with d-and-d fubctiobality
under .NET everyone in my office will choose
that...most people don't care/understand solid
technical foundations. They want the wow effect, which
is colors and a few extra buttons and 5 min
turn-around time...

why...???
george