Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: Donald D Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 07:24:11 -0600
On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 22:26 +0100, Peter Onion wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 22:29 -0500, Mark H. Harris wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 May 2006 21:43, kai wrote:
> >
> > > I can very easily see the tide slowly turning from one of emphatic support
> > > of KDE to that of simple maintenance.
> >
> > I am amazed at some of the comments on this thread. Ok, basics... Linux is not
> > Winblows... the desktop is *not* tied to the OS in Linux... the desktop is
> > *not* tied to the distribution in Linux... Suse doesn't support the KDE
> > desktop, the KDE community supports the KDE desktop... If Suse ever ships
> > without KDE (and it won't anytime soon) I will add the KDE desktop myself.
>
> Could it be that the problem here is that these days an increasing
> percentage of Linux users are unable to do this sort of thing ? If they
> are converts from the Windblows world are they dependent on the
> features/facilities/packages provided "out of the box" and thus
> inexperienced in building things from sources ?
>
> I wonder how many of the contributors to this thread have ever built KDE
> or GNOME from the sources ? I have not had to build GNOME from source
> for a couple of years now.

I've never built a desktop from source. When confronted with a problem,
I will spend hours trying to solve it using the tools available in the
desktop and will only reluctantly move to the CLI. (I prefer Gnome but
this would apply to KDE as well.) I'm not the typical new user, having
spent most of my career dealing with computers, networks, and
telecommunications. However, my thought is that if I'm going to
recommend that typical users switch to Linux, the desktop should be as
easy to use as possible. Fortunately, this is aided by the fact that
most (all?) KDE apps can be run from Gnome and vice versa. As long as
that holds, the choice between KDE and Gnome should remain as a user
choice.

Donald D. Henson, Managing Director
West El Paso Information Network
The "Non-Initiation of Force Principle" Rules