Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:17:25 -0400
On Thursday 04 May 2006 5:26 pm, Peter Onion wrote:
> Could it be that the problem here is that these days an increasing
> percentage of Linux users are unable to do this sort of thing ?
I think that some people coming from a Windows environment expect the system
to be nothing but a Windows replacement.
First, they are not used of the choices. With Linux, not only KDE or GNOME,
but many other legacy window managers.

Next, they don't understand the support issues. With Windows, you call
Microsoft or the software vendor. With Linux, who do you call? In an
Enterprise situation, you call either the distro vendor or the hardware
vendor (Both IBM and HP provide first level support).

I see a lot of this with OpenOffice. Someone buys a copy of OpenOffice from
one of the places that sells OO.o CDs. They expect the same level of
support as they would if they paid $200.

Or, they expect things, such as firewalls, to work the same way as Windows.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group