Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: Ken Jennings <ken_jennings@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 12:37:40 -0400
On Saturday 06 May 2006 10:22, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Saturday 2006-05-06 at 13:39 +0200, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> > > If you knew how to swim in windows (ie, compile, use makefiles, etc),
> > > then it is not so dificult. You have to change your swiming style,
> > > that's all.
> >
> > Windows users *do not* compile anything. They buy or download.
>
> Not true. I was a dos/windows user before coming to unix or linux, and
> compiled a lot of things.

Since when does (or did) a compiler come with Windows? So, how does the
typical Windows user compile anything?

When I was using Windows I used to compile lots of stuff for Windows, because
I BOUGHT a compiler. I'm a programmer. I wouldn't describe myself as just a
computer "user". The overwhelming majority of people using Windows are just
"users" and don't have the knowledge (or the software) to rebuild anything.

< Previous Next >