Re: [SLE] Changing hardware IRQ's
  • From: S Glasoe <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 12:09:07 -0500
On Friday 05 May 2006 1:29 pm, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Hardware is 3-4years old and motherboard has a single ISA slot, rest are
> PCI. Realtek NIC is in a PCI slot. Sound os on motherboard.

Nothing in the ISA slot? I would _guess_ that the BIOS would reserve an IRQ
for the ISA slot once it knows what IRQ the ISA card wants/has/requires.
That may be the only IRQ action this BIOS does.

> 2001/11/03 date of purchase.

New enough. Having the ISA slot is something. Once the system knows which
IRQ the ISA slot/card has then I'd guess that all PCI slots and devices
would share the remaining IRQs.

> Had a look in the BIOS and didn't see specific settings for the sound
> IRQ and te networking IRQ. I did say that the BIOS must monitor the
> IRQ's, whatever that means as even after reboot the NIC and Sound still
> had the same IRQ.

Standard PCI, BIOS, IRQ interaction.

> In conclusion it would seem I have bad hardware but then the IRQ's being
> the same doesn't if I am not using the ISA slot, and Linux 9.2 right?

I'd say it wasn't bad hardware. You just haven't figured out the unique
challenge presented by this combination of hardware, BIOS and PCI cards.
Newer Linux versions will help.

I keep coming back to one of my first questions though. Think there has been
3 different threads based on IRQ settings. Can't keep them straight
anymore. Does it matter if your devices share an IRQ? Or are you just
fixated on trying to get each PCI or onboard device _not_ to share an IRQ?
I know you may be getting an error message stating something about unknown
parameters (IRQ being one of them) when loading a driver but my experience
tells me that is just an old generic error message that can't be more
specific. Its giving you a hint as to what to troubleshoot.

Stan

< Previous Next >