Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 16:29:15 -0700
On Saturday 06 May 2006 12:11 pm, Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 06/05/06, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I realize I'm nitpicking here, but "windows user(s)" and "typical
> > windows user(s)" can be two completely different animals. The first is
> > all inclusive, and a poor choice of words, the second has built in
> > exclusions, i.e. those who write and compile windows apps.
>
> I'd say that the percentage of Windows users who do not know one jot
> of programming far, far out ways those who do. Whereas the opposite
> is true in the Linux world. One day, many years in the future the
> latter will change. A PC user should not 'have' to know about how to
> compile software just to use the PC.
<snip>

Valid point, Kevin! There are those of us who will program and enjoy seeing
our own creations be compiled and used, and there are those who want to turn
the thing on and use it, with a minimal of fuss and tinkering.

Towards that end - I'd say KDE, GNOME and SUSE have all done a great job in
attempting to reach the goal. I think we all have benefited by the
"competition" between the major desktops in the world, KDE, Macintosh, Gnome
and - to some extent - Windows.
--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.

< Previous Next >