Re: [SLE] Java vs COBOL (WAS: Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux)
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 09:26:36 -0700
On Saturday 06 May 2006 07:55 pm, Mark H. Harris wrote:
> On Saturday 06 May 2006 14:30, kai wrote:
> > /me raises eyebrow - something wrong with Java?  Please tell us more.
> >  I've programmed in Java, Visual Basic, Cobol, Pascal, C++, C#, and a bit
> > of assembler. So far, I've found Java to be a tight and comfortable
> > programming language. Like any language it has its annoyances.
>
> You don't have RPG or FORTRAN on your list... most of us guys old enough to
> program COBOL have had our share of both of the others also... :-))

LOL - No, I'm not a "COBOL" programmer. In fact, my only real experience with
it was at my last job, where I had to dig into some old (sometimes mid-80's)
code and make some tweaks.

> The reason you don't hate Java is because you don't have C on your
> list... and C programmers need and *must* always and forever use pointers.
> [its in our blood] anyway, Java is crummy C++ without pointer support...
> ;-) and well, without pointers you might as well be using Basic... which I
> guess you did for a while... me too... but that was way way way back on the
> Vic20 Motorola 6502...
>
> Java functions... its slow, but it works. C++ is better, C is even better,
> and with a TCL/TK wrapper is the best!
>
> Java is like coffee... before I drink it I always want to add something
> like cream and/or sugar... then I remember that the stuff is just bad for
> me...
>
> <this is mostly supposed to be funny, but some of it is true>

Allright! Well, thanks for your answer. :)

I just like it because - now that I have netbeans - it is an easy way to
create a cross-platform GUI that looks decent in both Linux and Windows. In
fact, I need to get off my duff and get back to programming. :P

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.livebeans.com - the new NetBeans community

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.

< Previous Next >