Device confusion understanding help meeded
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 21:30:49 +0200
I have a SuSE 9.2 system and have been a Linux user for some time, however I have not managed to understand te below scenario.

On this system I have 2 IDE drives, a 1.44" stiffy drive, a read only CDROM and a dual layer DVD R/RW drive.

My two HDDs are specified as hda and hdb however my optical drives are not labeled with /dev/xxx names, in the /etc/fstab file ie as /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd?

Why are they, and should they be, that way?

BIOS wise hda is my primary master with hdb as the primary slave. My CDROM, which came with the machine and was Secondary master is now Secondary slave, The DVD R/RW is the Secondary Master. Hda is the Primary Master.

My fstab is below although I am sure I'll be cating files and posting them here from a console, from within KDE of course. Sorry for the word wrap.

/dev/hda1 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
/dev/hda6 /boot ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda9 /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda8 /opt ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda11 /srv ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda12 /tmp ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda5 /usr ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda7 /var ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda13 /wintemp vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hda10 swap swap pri=42 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /media/backup ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/dvdrecorder /media/dvdrecorder subfs fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0

If I browse into /dev with konqi I can see a dvdrecorder entry but not a cdrom one. Howcome? Should entry only appear if there is something in the drive or the contents are mounted?