dhcp client .. not setting gateway and dns server
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 14:14:27 -0500
Using SUSE10, several questions:

1)is there an equivalent to the windows "ipconfig /release" and
"ipconfig /renew"?

2)My laptop is getting an ip address from dhcp, but neither the
default gateway nor the dns server values are being picked up. The
appropriate "get this information from DHCP" check boxes are selected
in YAST.

All other devices in this dhcp subnet are working fine. The DHCP
server is a NW65 box. Phones, windows boxes of all types, wireless
devices of all types seem to work fine.

If I do route -n there is no UG entry, until I manually add a gateway
value in yast. Also, cat /etc/resolv.conf shows no entries for dns
settings.

The machine has 2 wireless interfaces (one set to manual start and
unused) and 1 intel pro/100.

What can I do to t-shoot this?

3)in kwifimanager/configuration editor, when you create a config, I
read in the kwifimanager docs that you need to put: "/sbin/dhclient"
in the "execute script at connect" field in order to get a dhcp
assigned address, yet I cannot find this script anywhere on the
system.

Is there such a script and perhaps I simply have the name wrong? Might
this be the "ipconfig /renew" replacement I have been looking for?

Peter

< Previous Next >