Re: [SLE] Re: GNOME vs KDE Redoux
  • From: "Mark H. Harris" <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 12:22:21 -0500
On Saturday 06 May 2006 22:39, Chuck Davis wrote:
> I've done COBOL and RPG.  RPG on AS/400, iSeries, whatever it's called
> this week,
Its called AS/400 as far as I am concerned... a rose is a rose by any other
name. ;-) I worked for IBM Rochester (25 years) until I was, uh, canned
in 2002. I supported the compilers: RPG, C, COBOL, and the other language
utilities like SEU. In my last few years I wrote tools code for the support
center.

> and Microfocus COBOL on OS/2 PCs.  When I started to look
> around for a place to go when IBM told us to get off their products I
> found Linux.
Good move. I worked my best to get the folks in Rochester fired up about linux
with limited success. The last I knew there was a Linux team working for
iSeries... don't know now what they're up to... but you know, day late and a
dollar short will... oh, well.
> I looked at C/C++ and they seemed totally disgusting.
> Then I found Java and it just worked.
C is the heart language of *nix. This is true for Linux also. Glue scripts
are also key-- and TCL/TK is one of the best. C++ is fun, and unfortunately
Java dropped some of the best C++ stuff... like operator overloading,
pointers, multiple inheritance, templates, and constructor flexibility. But
you're right, Java has allowed some folks to jump into programming who might
not have otherwise.
> The libraries supply all the
> power one could ever wish for.  It just keeps getting better and
> better.
AWT and Swing are very cool... but you know, the libraries are almost too
extensive at this point. "Java in a nutshell" separated AWT and Swing out of
their reference and placed them into its own book... "Java Foundation
Classes"... and "Java Enterprise" for the server-side stuff. It has really
exploded since the days when I seriously used it.
> You can have your pointers.  I'll take my references any day
> (which of course are pointers underneath).  So here's my deal.  You
> use the pointers to create the jvm and I'll use the references you
> create with them to write my applications!
Yeah, that works.
> Pointers are just plain
> evil for applications programmers!
Not necessarily. Some application programmers are just plain evil if you let
them get their hands on pointers! :-)) "Danger, keep out of reach of
Children"
> And I probably would not want an
> OS based on anything other than C/C++!
Like I said, C/C++ is the heart language of *nix.

I just wrote a miniprocessor interface for the parallel port (kernel mod) and
C was the only way to make it work correctly... simply no other choice. But,
the tool controller (graphic interface used for testing and set/reset) was
written in TCL/TK. The C interface code (unix domain sockets) is
under-the-covers talking to the kernel mod. The two languages work well
together. Java could have been used for the gui, but with more complexity.

Just for fun.

--
Kind regards,

Mark H. Harris <><