Re: [SLE] Skype sound problems in 10.0
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:47:40 -0400
On Thursday 11 May 2006 11:57, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> The card was configured correctly. My sounds are working as expected. The
> card is correctlt shown in Yast. I have moved the old /.skype to a temp
> direvtory. Seemed a better solution as renaming them.
> I have deleted in Yast Skype and installed a fresh, new Skype again. Ran
> Skype in console and get the same info as before. Still /dev/dsp-1
> Think it is now the time to symlink dsp-1 to dsp. Could you give me the
> command line for that. Can do it in midnight commander but never seem to be
> able to get it right there.

I'll bet the anomalous /dev/dsp-1 is a leftover, non-working device created by
a YaST script when it was 'configuring' the second, "phantom" card. Try this
as normal user, please, before attempting to create a link:

cd /dev
l ds* (that's a lowercase L, for list)

If you find that /dev/dsp *and* /dev/dsp-1 exist, open Skype and, somewhere
under 'Tools' > 'Options' is a drop-down list for selecting the correct
(working) Digital Signal Processing device (DSP)... I only have one and it's
called "/dev/dsp" like everybody else. That's all I see in the drop-down
list. If, however, both exist under /dev, the correct one (/dev/dsp) should
be available in the drop-down list and you can just select it.

If, on the other hand, you do the 'l ds*' and see *only* /dev/dsp-1 I'd say
you haven't really fixed the underlying problem... you might want to think
about discovering why the standard /dev/dsp has not been created.

If there is only a /dev/dsp-1 and you don't want to chase down why, then 'su
-' to root while in /dev and do 'ln -s dsp-1 dsp'

That's it. Please let me know what you find... I am very curious now.

Good luck!

Carl

< Previous Next >