Re: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro
  • From: "Mark H. Harris" <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:00:54 -0500
On Thursday 11 May 2006 16:53, Kevanf1 wrote:
> Well, read the article yourselves now and make your own minds up.  See
> if you conclude the same as I did and think that KDE will be dropped
> at some point.
Here are the relevant quotes from the article: [my response follows after]

LXF: SUSE has traditionally been a KDE-focused distro. How do you resolve
including and supporting Gnome in SUSE Linux?

GMU: SUSE has always included both KDE and Gnome, and will continue to support
both, as will our enterprise products going forward. It's been challenging
for us to work with partners in a way that's rational, but we've decided that
in the next generation of our enterprise products, Gnome will be the default
desktop. But we will continue to ship and support KDE, for a number of
reasons.

[my response]
There is a world of difference between saying that Gnome will be 'default' and
'KDE is being dumped'. Marketing hype is always hard to discern... but this
hype is nothing more than that. KDE is important and Novell knows that.
Novell knows that KDE is important to me... and that's important to Novell.
<I hope>

--
Kind regards,

Mark H. Harris <><