Re: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 20:28:40 -0500
On 5/11/06, Mark H. Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[my response]
There is a world of difference between saying that Gnome will be 'default' and
'KDE is being dumped'. Marketing hype is always hard to discern... but this
hype is nothing more than that. KDE is important and Novell knows that.
Novell knows that KDE is important to me... and that's important to Novell.
<I hope>

I agree ... more smoke where there is no fire. Good god. At some point
talking about this begins to seem like chickens pracing about the
barnyard ... it's ridiculous.

If the desktop you prefer is no longer supported or offered in a
quality way, you will find another distro. We get it.

I think the notion that KDE will be dropped or marginalized in any
real way is simply paranoia. Maybe I am right, maybe not. But I am not
going to hold my breath nor lose any sleep.

And frankly, my major concern is less for "the KDE" than it is for
real choice in marketplace.

I support linux not because it is my religion, and not because it is
clearly the superior OS (which it is in some ways and is not in
others) but because I think it is important to have a choice other
than windows. It's important to me personally, and professionally as
well.

If a gnome-based desktop can become attractive enough that companies
want to buy and deploy it, and to hire me and my peers to support that
effort, than I will be very very happy. And, despite that thus far in
my "noobie education" I have bonded with KDE more easily than gnome
(despite "liking the look" of gnome better), I will learn gnome. But
personally use KDE, at least for now.

Much like now, I use SUSE personally (And more and more
professionally) but the majority of my customers use windows and
netware.

Lets lose some of the religion, make our own choices about things, and
proactively support linux in it's varieties. Secularism is the
watch-word. Secular governments protect the rights of citizens to
choose a religion. A secular approach to desktops preserves choice
while promoting linux generally.