Re: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro
  • From: George Stoianov <gstoyanoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:41:57 -0400 (EDT)

--- Peter Van Lone <petervl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/11/06, Mark H. Harris
> <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [my response]
> > There is a world of difference between saying that
> Gnome will be 'default' and
> > 'KDE is being dumped'. Marketing hype is always
> hard to discern... but this
> > hype is nothing more than that. KDE is important
> and Novell knows that.
> > Novell knows that KDE is important to me... and
> that's important to Novell.
> > <I hope>
>
> I agree ... more smoke where there is no fire. Good
> god. At some point
> talking about this begins to seem like chickens
> pracing about the
> barnyard ... it's ridiculous.
>
> If the desktop you prefer is no longer supported or
> offered in a
> quality way, you will find another distro. We get
> it.
>
> I think the notion that KDE will be dropped or
> marginalized in any
> real way is simply paranoia. Maybe I am right, maybe
> not. But I am not
> going to hold my breath nor lose any sleep.
>
> And frankly, my major concern is less for "the KDE"
> than it is for
> real choice in marketplace.
>
> I support linux not because it is my religion, and
> not because it is
> clearly the superior OS (which it is in some ways
> and is not in
> others) but because I think it is important to have
> a choice other
> than windows. It's important to me personally, and
> professionally as
> well.
>
> If a gnome-based desktop can become attractive
> enough that companies
> want to buy and deploy it, and to hire me and my
> peers to support that
> effort, than I will be very very happy. And, despite
> that thus far in
> my "noobie education" I have bonded with KDE more
> easily than gnome
> (despite "liking the look" of gnome better), I will
> learn gnome. But
> personally use KDE, at least for now.
>
> Much like now, I use SUSE personally (And more and
> more
> professionally) but the majority of my customers use
> windows and
> netware.
>
> Lets lose some of the religion, make our own choices
> about things, and
> proactively support linux in it's varieties.
> Secularism is the
> watch-word. Secular governments protect the rights
> of citizens to
> choose a religion. A secular approach to desktops
> preserves choice
> while promoting linux generally.

Very well said choice and peace is what everyone wants
in the end. The problem is that Linux and everything
with it makes you passionate about your choices. Truth
be told there is nothing perfect especially in
software and only the quest for perfection
counts...and this is maybe where our choices and
passions lie ... ;)
regards,
george