Re: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro
  • From: "Bryan S. Tyson" <bryantyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:43:57 -0400
On Thursday 11 May 2006 06:49 pm, Peter Nikolic wrote:

> I have not had chance to read the article yet but in the long run if
> SuSe/Novell drop KDE then a lot of people will drop SuSe the question then
> becomes the loosers us cus we dumped SuSe of them cus they lost us as
> customers and then do they even care .

We won't be the losers, because what are we really losing when we lose a
Gnome-centric distro?

As far as SuSE losing customers, I don't think they care much about losing
individual home desktop users. The business market is what really counts for
making money. What amazes me is that business customers tolerate Gnome year
after year. Think of all the Red Hat desktops out there in business for
example, presumably running Gnome.

> If they are going to become totaly Gnomecentric then i am on my bike that
> instant to and KDEcentric distro as Gnome suks very badly..

I doubt they will ever be totally Gnomecentric to the point of excluding KDE.
However, I do predict KDE will be the neglected stepchild while Gnome gets
all the attention and promotion.

Bryan