Re: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 21:20:33 -0700
On Thursday 11 May 2006 03:49 pm, Peter Nikolic wrote:
> On Thursday 11 May 2006 22:53, Kevanf1 wrote:
> > I mentioned an interview with one of the marketing guys from
> > SuSE/Novell recently. This was in conjunction with ongoing debate
> > about whether SuSE/Novell are dropping Gnome or not.
> >
> > Well, read the article yourselves now and make your own minds up. See
> > if you conclude the same as I did and think that KDE will be dropped
> > at some point.
>
> I have not had chance to read the article yet but in the long run if
> SuSe/Novell drop KDE then a lot of people will drop SuSe the question then
> becomes the loosers us cus we dumped SuSe of them cus they lost us as
> customers and then do they even care .
>
> If they are going to become totaly Gnomecentric then i am on my bike that
> instant to and KDEcentric distro as Gnome suks very badly..

From reading the article (thanks, Kevin) and reading the posts here, I can now
understand what Novell's motivation/postion is. It makes perfect business
sense to follow the leader (Red Hat) in terms of competing on an
apples-apples basis in the corporate desktop world. In addition, it mentioned
that Ubuntu has a Gnome-based business offering ready or in the works.
Hence, there are already two major distributions focused on Gnome. Why not
join them?

As Greg says when asked why they chose Gnome, "when you look around the major
distributions you see that Gnome is the choice for the standard desktop. So
Novell had a chance to do one of two things: we could ether turn the whole
industry into a Gnome vs KDE debate or we could choose Gnome and take the
debate off the table...we've made this decision to try to clarify for the
community, for our enterprises, and for our hardware and software vendors
[which desktop] to certify their stuff on."

The way I read that is Novell has decided on Gnome in order to put a more
solid competitive front against RedHat, Microsoft and any other enterprise
desktop vendors.

Fair enough.

I may still think Gnome stinks and that Red Hat, Ubuntu and Novell are
seriously misguided in their decision to support the desktop, but at least
they have stood up and told us - the community - where they stand and where
they're going.

It may very well come to pass that KDE begins to focus on the home market
(Mandriva, Xandros, Lindows) and Gnome developers focus on the business
market (Novell, Ubuntu, Redhat) in order to gain against the entrenched
competition. So be it. I can use KDE at home and Gnome at work. No reason I
can't launch KMail at work or Evolution at home.

As one who uses KDE, I'll continue to support it and advocate its use over
Gnome. In addition, I will do my best to help support anyone who is planning
on upgrading from Windows XP/Vista to Linux regardless of their choice of
desktop manager. Who knows, maybe I'll even get of my rear and start coding
the GUMP project I've been thinking of. (GNOME Usability MDI Project)

Of course, I still need to finish my existing projects....sigh....

...okay back to Wesnoth! I really think Konrad has the hots for Li'sar. :P

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.filesite.org - the FileNet user community

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.