Re: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 18:32:52 +0100
> Subject: Re: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro
>

> Please, just tell people to use KDE.
>
> Linus
> ------------------
>
> Good enough for me ;)

yes, and Nat's reply at:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00025.html

sets a tone that I prefer.

I think this "KDE vs Gnome" thing is tribal. And it's
counter-productive. As I said earlier, at this point I prefer KDE,
also. But for people to say things like "gnome sux, it's worthless and
plague" is just ... dumb.

Any sentient being can see that gnome is, like KDE, a strong though
not-perfect desktop. Some people don't like the gnome
approach/appearance/functionality, etc ... others do.

There is a difference between "this sux" and "I don't prefer this".

Seems to me that more people in the linux community would benefit from
noticing the distinction.

Well, to clarify my stance on this. I still believe that SuSE/Novell
would like to drop official support for KDE sometime in the future.
That's my take after reading that interview. However, I prefer KDE
but I would not want to see support for Gnome being dropped. I don't
give flying hoot which desktop is supposedly default. They could have
Fluxbox for all I care. I do care about choice. I would like to see
full support for all the desktops that are available to use. Each one
has its own merits and its own downsides.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire