Re: [SLE] Xen vs. Vmware?
  • From: "Greg Freemyer" <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 15:37:25 -0400
On 5/12/06, kevin.kempter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<kevin.kempter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi List;

I want to run CentOS within my SuSe 10 install. I have vmware 5.5 installed
however I wonder if Xen is a better option. I have a xen grub boot option
when I boot but I know nothing about how to setup an OS within it. Can anyone
point me in the right direction and/or give me your opinions per xen vs.
vmware?

Thanks...

Do you have a CentOS kernel with the XEN paravirtualized drivers
built-in (ie. xen disk driver, xen nic driver, xen sound driver, etc.?
(IIUC, SuSE 10.0 comes with a special SUSE kernel with the xen
drivers built-in just for the guest OS to use.)

If so, Xen might be a good choice since it should run your guest OS
faster than VMware does.

If not, you either have use xen with the brand new Intel VT technology
(AMD doesn't have it yet), or you have to make the effort of building
a new CentOS kernel.

At that point, I would be thinking ov VMware.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group