Re: [SLE] Better multiprocessor support in 10.1?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 10:16:35 +0200
Jim Kroger wrote:

> Hi, I have 9.2 and was told by a tech as Suse that 10.1 would be
> better suited for machines with multiple processors (my IBM has dual
> 248 Opterons, 8 gigs of ram). Can anyone help me understand how this
> will impact me? I do number crunching with matlab. I'd like to run two
> matlabs at once (it is not multi threaded).

The 2.6 kernel has better scheduling properties, and quite possibly
other improvemnts that you could benefit from. You should already now
be able to run two Matlabs - SUSE 9.2 certainly had SMP capability.
With this kind of workload, I'm not sure you'd see any significant
improvement in moving to 10.1, but that shouldn't stop you from
migrating. There are many other nice improvements.

/Per Jessen, Z├╝rich