Re: [SLE] Xen vs. Vmware?
  • From: David Bottrill <david@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 10:30:04 +0100
On Friday 12 May 2006 20:37, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On 5/12/06, kevin.kempter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> <kevin.kempter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi List;
> >
> > I want to run CentOS within my SuSe 10 install. I have vmware 5.5
> > installed however I wonder if Xen is a better option. I have a xen grub
> > boot option when I boot but I know nothing about how to setup an OS
> > within it. Can anyone point me in the right direction and/or give me your
> > opinions per xen vs. vmware?
> >

> > Thanks...
>
> Do you have a CentOS kernel with the XEN paravirtualized drivers
> built-in (ie. xen disk driver, xen nic driver, xen sound driver, etc.?
> (IIUC, SuSE 10.0 comes with a special SUSE kernel with the xen
> drivers built-in just for the guest OS to use.)
>
> If so, Xen might be a good choice since it should run your guest OS
> faster than VMware does.
>
> If not, you either have use xen with the brand new Intel VT technology
> (AMD doesn't have it yet), or you have to make the effort of building
> a new CentOS kernel.
>
> At that point, I would be thinking ov VMware.

I'm running Xen on Athlon 64 and wanted a debian VM. The quick and dirty
approach I took was to install debian in vmware, shut it down and open the
debian disk in a SuSE VM I then used DD to get the disk into a image file. I
mounted the debian image as a loopback filesystem and copied the SuSE xen
kernel modules into the disk image. I then booted the debian image using the
SuSE xen kernel and initrd with xen.

I had to hand craft the xen config file for the VM but I'm getting used to
that now.

--
David Bottrill

david@xxxxxxxxxxxx