Re: [SLE] Remind me never to use this torrent stuff
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 16:22:33 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2006-05-13 at 13:53 +0100, Rui Santos wrote:

> > For me, the text mode "btdownloadcurses" works fine. But! Remember not to
> > use your full upload capacity, or your download will suffer (your ACKs
> > get delayed). Remember to open ports "6880:6889" in the firewall.
> Yes Carlos, you are almost right, IMHO.
>
> If you do not limit the upload speed to something less that your ISP
> subscribed speed, your router will tend to store packets in it's cache
> and therefore delay some of the IP packets, thus slowing the downloading
> speed because of upload congestion speed.

That's what I meant, with less words.

> This is just a rough way to
> overcome those problems. The better way, IMHO, is to use some kind of
> traphic shapping - I use the one at
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ADSL-Bandwidth-Management-HOWTO/implementation.html
> , but SuSEFirewall2 has something on it that should do the same thing,
> witch is the FW_HTB_TUNE_DEV option. I prefer the first option because
> is more "tweakable".
> Just as an example, I have a 640kbit/s upload speed. If i do not limit
> it to 600kbits I will not even get a 400kbits download. But if I do, I
> can get up to the full subscribed 4Mbits/s.

The end result is the same if you simply tell your bittorrent client to
use xxx for upload. The best thing would be to clasify packets by
preference.

> About the ports to opened, with azureus you will need just one of your
> choice. I encourage people to stay out of the "6880:6889" range, because
> many ISP's now also do some traffic shaping of their own, setting these
> ports to a low priority traffic, thus delaying the entire bittorrent
> protocol/transfers. Choose something like port 49152.

Then, how do the rest of the croud find you? :-?

> Besides that, you not only have to open that port on the firewall but,
> you also have to forward it to your internal IP address of the machine
> that is running azureus.

Of course.

> Also remember that usually, if you have cheap routers, they might not be
> able to handle all connections that azureus initiate.

True enough. Mine crashes after some time. I limit the number of incomming
connections in my client:

btdownloadcurses --max_upload_rate 20 --max_allow_in 12 filename.torrent

I don't see the point in having 50 connections or so when I only can
upload 20 kbytes/s.

> Also, forgive me about
> some not so well managed sentences but, English is not my native language.

Mine neither ;-)

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson