Re: [SLE] Skype sound problems in 10.0
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:24:32 -0400
On Saturday 13 May 2006 10:44, Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
> No screw up on your side. I have a soundcardles board and a PCI sound card.

What's your mainboard make/model?

> It was not possible to delete the card(s) that where found on the system so
> I took the sound card out and got a fresh possibility to setup my card. Did
> it with alsa as you proposed after rm several files. and stopping starting
> rcalsasound etc. Was a good idea but it did not help any.

Did YaST ID the card correctly? My notes show:
Creative Sound Blaster Audio PCI128
Is this the correct model number? Do you have a revision number?

> Think that I return to my full functioning but slower 9.3 where by the way
> I have dsp dsp1 dsp2 and dsp3
> Do not ask me why. They are just there ;)

I'm beginning to think in 10.0 dsp is trying to act as 'record' and 'play' for
left channel and dsp1 for the right channel when it should be dsp is 'record'
for both left and right with dsp1 as 'play' for left and right. Confused
yet? ;-)

As you've described, above, in your working 9.3 setup the card's functional
input/output pairs are being represented by four discreet /dev/ds* entries.

I don't know the age of this card, but we might need to review the
drivers/parameters in more detail. That's why I'm hoping you can verify the
card model *and* revision number for me.

> Think I wait for 10.1 or 10.3.

If you can run 9.3 while keeping 10.0 installed to debug it, that would be the
ideal scenario. Also, I think finding and fixing (or working around) the
problem in 10.0 will carry over into 10.1, meaning it should make 'tweaking'
Skype to work in 10.1 easier.

Carl

< Previous Next >