Re: [SLE] SUSE Linux 10.1 - 32-bit or 64-bit
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 09:09:21 -0400
On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 22:01 +1000, Matt Bottrell wrote:
> * Multimedia via the Packman repository seemed broken... for instance the
> MPlayer plugin failed to work in Firefox.
> * Support for multimedia generally failed under 64bit...
> * No Flash for Firefox with 64-bit browser.
> Whilst I know these aren't directly related to SUSE... has this support
> improved at all from 10.0 -> 10.1
> Currently I got around it by dropping back to a 32-bit firefox and plugins
> to get a 'working system'.

And that's how you're going to get around it. Linux doesn't have an
equivalent to Win32 on Win64 (WoW) like Windows XP x64 -- although trust
me, Linux does _not_ want an equivalent either (can you say, "slam on
the breaks performance?" ;-).

PAE 52-bit programs can't use 32-bit or PAE 36-bit libraries/plug-ins
and vice-versa. For more on how AMD's x86-64 "Long Mode" works, see:
http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/10/what-is-x86-64-long-mode-memory-model.html

> Should I install 64-bit this time around?
> Has some of these problems been fixed or is this still outstanding?
> Is the solution to do a 64-bit install and run some 32-bit apps -- like
> Firefox, Mplayer, etc.

Yes.

One of the reasons I'm switching to SuSE Linux 10.x (and I've been a
heavy Red Hat user since Red Hat Linux 4.0, and get most of my
consulting work out of Red Hat Enterprise Linux) is because the Fedora
Project (and, therefore, Red Hat Enterprise Linux as well) keeps
shipping Firefox.x86-64 in its distro. Upgrading is a serious PITA with
Red Hat's insistence on Firefox.x86-64 -- unless you maintain your own,
local YUM/UP2DATE repositories.

I've been reading through some of the forum commentary and it seems that
most people have tamed the 32-bit Firefox-Multimedia combination quite
easily with SuSE Linux 10.x (and even 9.x). Especially since SuSE ships
the 32-bit versions right in the distro and YaST repositories.

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com