Re: [SLE] Totally OT: 64/32,... -- memory models are _everything_ to programs
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:46:13 -0400
On Monday 15 May 2006 4:21 pm, Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> Constantly hearing what can't be done, and running outdated technology
> gets extremely tiresome over the years.
The beauty (and bane) of the x86-64 architectures is that it enables us to
effectively transition from 32-bit to 64-bit architecture. The bane is that
some [lazy] developers don't want to make their code 64-bit clean.
Additionally, 32-bit code running on a 64-bit OS on this architecture may
run faster than if it were native. One thing we ran into on Alpha/NT is
that we had a mode that allowed X86 code to run under emulation/translation
so we had a good application base. The downside was that vendors didn't
want to port their code to native Alpha so that we really never got a lot
of good native Alpha applications.

I would prefer on this net, we try to provide solutions to problems.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group