Re: [SLE] where to find these packages? Novell website said they are part of 10.0 but not on my discs
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:20:44 -0400
On Wednesday 17 May 2006 03:36, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Aooooh, a good surprise to me, you remember like a computer!

I wish! ;-)

> My dog is fine, thank you. I think he is finer then I am;)

No more cable chewing, I hope?

> 8) his yast install from ftp just fine. Yast is very smart to find the
> packages in ftp://server/CD2/ and ftp://server/CD3/ and all CDROM packages.

My point was only that you will find 10.0 DVD and CD .iso images but not an
FTP installation source at ftp.suse.com or on the mirrors.

> both are missing in packman, but guru seems to be a good source of a lot of
> packages, thank you for the info!

You're welcome! They are both great resources. Packman provides a lot of
multimedia libraries and programs (my favorite bundle is MPlayer +
mplayerplugin + w32codec-all.) Guru provides a lot of development and systems
administration tools. There are other community-maintained repositories but I
have to update my list.

Are you aware that Novell/SUSE Linux 10.1 has been released? It is noticably
faster, at least on my circa 2001 hardware. You should have a test
drive ;-) ...

The download links and instructions are at:

http://en.opensuse.org/Released_Version

Note the "Documentation" link at the top of the left sidebar... very helpful
info there!

Take care and enjoy 10.1 if you decide to try it. And here is a virtual dog
treat: x--x

regards,

Carl