Re: [SLE] SuSE interview Greg Mancusi-Ungaro
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:53:26 +0200
2006-05-17 19:23

On Thursday 11 May 2006 23:53, Kevanf1 wrote:
> I mentioned an interview with one of the marketing guys from
> SuSE/Novell recently. This was in conjunction with ongoing debate
> about whether SuSE/Novell are dropping Gnome or not.
>
> Well, read the article yourselves now and make your own minds up. See
> if you conclude the same as I did and think that KDE will be dropped
> at some point.
>
> http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/
>
> The article is on the front page. You may have to scroll down a
> little but it's in the center column.

"Gnome will be the default desktop. But we will continue to ship and support
KDE, for a number of reasons."

I did not read, nor did I "smell" that KDE will be dropped at some point. But
from Ubuntu sprang KUbuntu, and I believe that, /if/ KDE where dropped, KSuse
would not be far away (perhaps with a different name).

But to me it seems far more likely that Novell/SUSE would prefer to prevent a
fork, and will therefore keep supporting KDE.

The installation process of 10.1 offered a choice of desktop: KDE, GNOME, or
another. I liked that, and I hope SUSE continues to do that with successive
versions.

Cheers,

Leen