Re: [SLE] where to find these packages? Novell website said they are part of 10.0 but not on my discs
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 13:55:50 +1000
Darryl Gregorash wrote:
On 17/05/06 13:52, Ken Schneider wrote:
really -- with apparently 3 repositories needed just to get the
equivalent of the boxed set (and that still doesn't get you far --
Packman at least is still needed), far too confusing.
What is confusing? If you used M$ you would have to use far more places
to gather the software provided by 3-4 SUSE repos.
The main repositories are on opensuse.org and its mirrors (and of
course, Packman :-) ), and maybe also suse.com is needed, while the
updates are on suse.com. Not including the updates, there are 3 or 4
repositories needed, when one should suffice (combine all the non-OSS
and OSS sources on the opensuse mirrors, in one repository).

Couldn't we have someone knowledgeable to put together an entry into the FAQ (?wiki site so that we don't have to go thru this everytime? I for one am absolutely confused about what I have to or not to download to get the wholesheebang working. OK, I now think that what Carl provided as list/source of files I can now set the Updated correctly but when it comes to getting the next issue of SuSE it all be confusion again.

(Why do things have to be made so bloody confusing for people?! Why not just one directory where one can go to and download everything that's there to have a fully functioning OS? But that would be too sensible, wouldn't it?)

If there was no confusion, we wouldn't keep seeing the sort of questions
the OP asked. You are of course correct that what <the company in
Redmond> does is far more complicated (they must have taken lessons from
IBM's OS/2 stuff), but what they do isn't of much concern to me ;-)
packman will always be needed until the lawmakers stop taking bribes
(oops, they call them donations).
I can think of many ways packman might become unnecessary, most of which
center around class-action lawsuits against the RIAA and its members.
There is also: or until some judge subpoenas all of a company's
computers, because otherwise the DRM-protected email evidence it holds
can't even be read, much less entered into the court records.

Wouldn't that put a crimp in Billy's style? :-D

Cheers.

--
All answers questioned here.