9.2 USB hard drive enclosure recommendations
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:41:50 +0200
The subject says it all.

I am currently running 9.2 on my production system and have approx 1.5Gb of email and documents. A family member is getting 10.1 for me from the UK but they are only due back around the middle of June. Of course I would like to install it when it arrives but will not at do so at the risk of my other email and documents. Hence I would like to take a copy of my /home onto an external drive that would connect to the PC via USB.

That way once 10.1 is installed I can import the old mail from the external drive.(Please tell me that Sea Monkey/Thunderbid/Mozilla allow mail imports in 10.1)

I would think that going the enclosure route is the best as then I can upgrade the drive inside as and when I need to/can.

I had a brief look at the linux-usb and the Lacie site but didn't seem to pick up what I was looking for. I did see that the Lacie 160Gb d2 external drive is Linux compatible but I wonder if anyone has prefernces for other makes or have used a particular item successfully on 9.2. In addition I do not thinkk it is exactly what I am looking for.

Are there other sites I should rather look at?

Help appreciated.

< Previous Next >