Re: [SLE] Permanant bridge
  • From: "Peter Van Lone" <petervl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:13:54 -0500
On 5/18/06, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Uh, rerun the brctl commands at boot-time? Bascially insert the proper
script into your startup sequence or add them to the standard SUSE
network-startup.

lol! (following is a 'mini-thread-hijaak' ...)

Per, you make that sound so simple! I am struggling to make sense of
how to simply "insert the proper script into your startup sequence".

It seems there are a bunch of directories where a script COULD go ...
is there a good HOW TO anywhere on SUSE startup? One of the things I'm
finding with linux is that each and every procedure has SO MANY
options/things you can do, and the docs all go into ALL of the
options, that it is simply over-whelming to figure out how to do
simple things. I would LOVE a simple HOW TO on SUSE startup
procedures/commands/scripts. Something short of 50 pages that could
help me to organize my understanding of the architecture ...

When is it OK to just put startup commands into /etc/init.d/boot.local?

Which rc#.d location is the correct one? /etc/init.d/rc#.d? Or, /etc/rc.d/rc#.d?

To create a script in /etc/init.d/rc3.d, do I just give it a K# or S#
name, and then type in whatever commands are used to start the
program? Or, is there a syntax that has to be followed?

What is the role of /etc/sysconfig?

Is there a procedure for integrating a startup routine with the YAST
runlevel editor?