Re: [SLE] Permanant bridge
  • From: Ken Schneider <suse-list2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 11:37:51 -0400
On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 10:03 -0500, Peter Van Lone wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Sunny <sloncho@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > After you are ready with your script you can
> > use either chkconfig to set the right runlevels, or you can use
> > Yast/System/Runlevel editor to enable it. This will create the proper
> > K and S links in the right rc directories.
>
> so having the script in /etc/init.d allows the runlevel editor to
> see/use it? And then the runlevel editor (or chkconfig) then creates
> the K and S sym links in the right places? (is that right?)
>
> Cool ... so, skeleton is .... not straight forward ... but get that
> figured out, and I'm golden. Cool, thnx!

It's not quite as simple as that. Look at the following:

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: FOO
# Required-Start: $syslog $remote_fs
# Should-Start: $time ypbind sendmail
# Required-Stop: $syslog $remote_fs
# Should-Stop: $time ypbind sendmail
# Default-Start: 3 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 2 6
# Short-Description: FOO XYZ daemon providing ZYX
# continued on second line by '#<TAB>'
# should contain enough info for the runlevel editor
# to give admin some idea what this service does and
# what it's needed for ...
# (The Short-Description should already be a good hint.)
### END INIT INFO

You need to figure out and provide the proper

# Required-Start:
# Should-Start
# Required-Stop:
# Should-Stop:
# Default-Start:
# Default-Stop:

These are required in order to have your script start (and stop) in the
proper order from the other scripts. But it is not as difficult as it
looks.

--
Ken Schneider