Can't Boot Init 5 with Suse 10 OSS
  • From: James Wright <jwright01@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:12:47 -0400
I have an older Compaq Workstation SP700. I loaded Windows Server 2003 Enterprise without a hitch for a class that I just finished. It has 2 SCSI drives (the third failed recently), so I kept the Windows on drive 0, and put Suse 10 OSS on the second drive, drive 1. After the first disk installed it did the reboot, then failed to load the graphical server. I was able to finish the install, including downloading the updates (except OpenOffice and the newer kernel). When I try a normal boot it freezes around the time the firewall initializes. (During the install it froze at the syslog entry). I can boot to init 3 no problem. I can not start sax2 (screen goes blank and freezes the computer). I can not access the graphic card settings using YaST2 (same thing, it freezes). I tried doing:

# sax2 -a

and

# sax2 -l

to no avail. Starting init 5 from init 3 results in a freeze. This is a dual cpu machine (Pentium II Xeon 450 mhz) with a Gbyte of RAM. It appears that Suse is having trouble using both CPUs. To add some headache, this machine uses a NVIDIA graphics chip. During the install Internet update I did download the nvidia.sh script, I ran the script and it put me back at the command line without reporting any errors. If I run top it does not appear to see the second CPU. When I run dmesg I see a few errors:

<snipped head>

Processor #1 6:5 APIC version 16
WARNING: maxcpus limit of 0 reached. Processor ignored.
Processor #0 6:5 APIC version 16
WARNING: maxcpus limit of 0 reached. Processor ignored.

<more snipped>

SMP mptable: no processors registered!
BIOS bug, MP table errors detected!...
... disabling SMP support. (tell your hw vendor)

<more snipped>

Initializing CPU#0
PID hash table entries: 4096 (order: 12, 65536 bytes)
Detected 449.011 MHz processor.

<more snipped>

Initializing CPU#0
PID hash table entries: 4096 (order: 12, 65536 bytes)
Detected 449.011 MHz processor.

<more snipped - /dev/sda is my Windows Server partition - Linux is on /dev/sdb>

SCSI device sda: drive cache: write through
sda:<3>ldm_parse_privhead(): Cannot find PRIVHEAD structure. LDM database is corrupt. Aborting.
ldm_validate_privheads(): Cannot find PRIVHEAD 1.
unable to read partition table

<more snipped>

pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
ACPI-0768: *** Warning: Thread A57 could not acquire Mutex [<NULL>] AE_BAD_PARAMETER
shpchp: acpi_shpchprm:get_device PCI ROOT HID fail=0x1001

<more snipped>

end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
subfs: unsuccessful attempt to mount media (256)
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
subfs: unsuccessful attempt to mount media (256)

<end dmesg>

If anyone feels that they have the time to help me sort this out I would greatly appreciate it. A a side note I can ssh into the box. I tried sax2 here as well, and YaST2 to configure the graphics, but in both cases it froze both the machine and the ssh session to the point where I could not even ping the machine. Thank you.

- James W.