Re: [SLE] network install over ssh
  • From: Carl Hartung <suselinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 02:43:24 -0400
On Friday 19 May 2006 02:10, Per Jessen wrote:
> I'm trying to do an install on a headless machine (a node in a cluster),
> and I'm having trouble figuring out what I do when stage 1 is complete.
> Stage 1 works just fine - I boot the installation system over the
> network, then ssh into the box and run yast. The installation then
> completes, and the machine reboots. When I ssh into it again, I can
> tell some Yast.Second-Stage thingie is running, but how do I get to
> "talk" to it to continue the second stage?

Hi Per,

I'll toss an idea your way... they're cheap! ;-) I don't know if it's
realistic, but here it is:

If you could log into a second and third console during stage 1... even using
something like screen... you could 'park' #3 in the directory where YaST
writes the stage 2 boot script, leave #2 available for ad hoc commands while
running YaST, as before, in #1.

Once the stage 2 boot script has been written, you quickly switch to #2,
suspend YaST, switch back to #3 and edit the script in such a way as to
launch YaST in a session that you can log into remotely. Once the script is
updated, you switch back to #2 to resume YaST and allow it to reboot.

Remember, it's just a concept... I have no way of knowing how realistic it is.

regards,

Carl