Re: [SLE] 9.2 USB hard drive enclosure recommendations
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 17:02:53 +1000
Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
The subject says it all.

I am currently running 9.2 on my production system and have approx 1.5Gb of email and documents. A family member is getting 10.1 for me from the UK but they are only due back around the middle of June. Of course I would like to install it when it arrives but will not at do so at the risk of my other email and documents. Hence I would like to take a copy of my /home onto an external drive that would connect to the PC via USB.

That way once 10.1 is installed I can import the old mail from the external drive.(Please tell me that Sea Monkey/Thunderbid/Mozilla allow mail imports in 10.1)

I would think that going the enclosure route is the best as then I can upgrade the drive inside as and when I need to/can.

I had a brief look at the linux-usb and the Lacie site but didn't seem to pick up what I was looking for. I did see that the Lacie 160Gb d2 external drive is Linux compatible but I wonder if anyone has prefernces for other makes or have used a particular item successfully on 9.2. In addition I do not thinkk it is exactly what I am looking for.

Are there other sites I should rather look at?

Help appreciated.

*Every* HD is "Linux compatible" - all that is needed is to format it in one of the Linux file systems (but mine has 2 partitions with one formatted in FAT32 and the other in reiserfs).

And dont't waste your money on buying "External USB Drive for Backup Purposes".

These "Externals" are no more than an ordinary HD enclosed in an external case. For example, there is one here in OZ which sells for ~$AU499 and has a 300GB HD in an external case (USB connection). I can put together the same thing for ~$AU224 by buying the same HD and an external case at the local Computer Fair (300GB Maxtor/16MB cache ~$AU180 and the external case $AU35 - $AU49 depending on what turns you on).

Get yourself an external case which-

1) uses an external power supply (HDs above a certain size draw too much power from the USB port and therefore cannot be used if the case doesn't use an external power supply);

2) has an ON/OFF switch;

3) preferably has an built-in fan to cool the box; and

4) uses the USB connection (there are some which use IEEE; but there are some which have both).

Then get yourself an HD of your favourite brand and of the size you want/can afford, then put the HD into the box, format the HD and away you go backing things at your leisure.

Cheers.

--
All answers questioned here.

< Previous Next >