Re: [SLE] network install over ssh
  • From: Leendert Meyer <leen.meyer@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 15:02:37 +0200
On Friday 19 May 2006 14:38, Per Jessen wrote:
> Jerry Westrick wrote:
> > The SUSE way to do a network install is to use VNC.
>
> Or ssh - it is certainly supported.
>
> > During the first boot of the installation choose install and add the
> > parameters:
> > install vnc=1 vncpassword=secret
>
> I boot an etherboot-image from floppy, and then retrieve the install
> kernel and initrd with a similar set of parms from a tftp-server.
>
> > Then the install continues on term 1 untill it gives you the
> > connection parms you need to connect. then you can connect via
> > vncviewer ....
>
> Yes, so far I have no problems.
>
> > After the reboot, you connect with vncviewer again to get the rest of
> > the dialog...
>
> OK, this is where I'm not sure what to do. I can connect with ssh, but
> how do I "get the rest of the dialog" ?

I did that in the past, installing over ssh. The first and the second time you
log in, you get directions regarding what command to type to start/continue
the installation. I am certain it was like that in 9.3.

Has 10.0 or 10.1 changed that much that you don't get directions of what to do
after logging in with ssh?

BTW, the advantage of VNC is that you can install remotely without the need of
running Linux (MHO). Any VNC capable OS would do. ;)

Cheers,

Leen