Re: [SLE] Retail SUSE vs OpenSUSE
  • From: kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 06:21:31 -0700
On Thursday 18 May 2006 06:49 am, Kevanf1 wrote:
> On 17/05/06, steve <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Are there any problems with java and other non opensource stuff? Like it
> > took me several hours to download the rest of the non free license stuff
> > from packman for 10.0. And even then it wasn't complete. In the end I
> > wish I'd waited for the retail version with all the time I'd wasted.
> >
> > Just another 0.02 Euros.
> > Steve.
>
> Hasn't Java just gone open source? Or is that a part of it?

Java considers their product to be "open source" since they believe anyone can
find the source code if they want. (That's their concept, not mine.)

There's a GCC version of Java installed with the OSS cd set. (Kind of like
what you get these days with Fedora.)

However, the real Java stuff (SDK, JRE, Ant...) is still found on the "extra"
CD and not included with the original five. I simply added the extra yast
sources and went on and installed java 1.5 from there.

I have it running on my two 10.1 systems no problem along with NetBeans on one
of them.

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com
www.filesite.org - The FileNet Community

43...for those who require slightly more than
the answer to life, the universe and everything.

< Previous Next >