Re: [SLE] SUSE Linux 10.1 - 32-bit or 64-bit
  • From: "Bryan J. Smith" <b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:33:36 -0400
On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 09:01 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Actually, the x86_64 bit version of an application is built for 64-bit
> virtual. The 48-bit/52-bit PAE is applicable when talking about the OS's
> virtual memory manager, paging, and TLBs. An application built for x86_64
> (or Alpha or IA64) will have a full 64-bit virtual memory address space

That's the standard programmer line.

But the binary is very much built _explicitly_ for 48-bit/52-bit PAE.
We don't know if they will run if and when AMD implements a _true_
"flat" 64-bit mode. If you read the fine print in AMD's own manual, it
doesn't exist yet.

So there's no guarantee the binaries will be compatible. That's why I
differentiate.

> as well as access to the full 64-bit registers.

Yes, non-address registers are 64-bit.

There's a huge difference between what the "programmer" sees and what
the "system programmer/organization" actually does, _including_ the
resulting object code itself. ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith@xxxxxxxx http://thebs413.blogspot.com