Re: [SLE] Retail SUSE vs OpenSUSE
  • From: Ralph Ellis <ralphellis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 13:16:05 -0400
Carl William Spitzer IV wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 12:38 -0500, Peter Van Lone wrote:
>
>> On 5/16/06, Mark H. Harris <harrismh777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Yes yes I know... the manual is on the media... I also have a copy (pdf) on my
>>> HD... but I like books... real paper books. And I am willing to PAY for
>>> them... so think about it guys.
>>>
>> so if you are willing to PAY for it, then take it to a copy shop and
>> have them PRINT it.
>>
>> I prefer NOT to HAVE TO pay for a manual.
>>
>> When I want one, I will buy one. Or, I will buy one of the
>> after-market 3rd party books.
>>

> What books do you recommend? Personally I would like the option of a
> disks only set and not from some knock off house on the web. As to the
> books they do provide they are somewhat thin. It should be possible to
> get official recommendations from Novell as to third party treeware or
> even buy through them.
>
> I beleive there is one publisher of RH books which has recently turned
> its hand to Suse but I forget the link. It was on Amazon as I remember.

Even though it is targeted at Suse 10, Suse Linux 10 Unleashed by
Michael McCallister (Sams Publishing 2006) is an excellent starting
point. It does the basics but also gets into the gritty details of
modifying the system and troubleshooting. I am a relative Linux newbie
but I have had computers since the days of CPM and I found the book very
understandable and useful.
Ralph Ellis

< Previous Next >