RE: [SLE] remote install of Suse 10.0
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:53:06 -0700

> I have copied the DVD contents onto a drive on one computer and I wish
> to make a fresh install on a separate computer with no DVD drive. The
> DVD contents are shared over nfs. How can I create a floppy boot disk
> so I can connect to the 10.0 nfs share and perform the install?

>Check out this script:

>inst-source/boot/i386/mkbootdisk

>That's what I use for creating a bootable USB-stick - I think it might
>do floppies too.

Thanks for the reply. I get an error when trying to create a floppy.

dsp:/SU1000_001/boot # ./mkbootdisk --32 --out foo /media/floppy
cp: cannot stat `/media/floppy/*': No such file or directory
error: failed to copy boot loader files

~~~
dsp:/SU1000_001/boot # ./mkbootdisk
Usage: mkbootdisk [options] cd_mount_point
Create boot disk images from SUSE Linux DVD or CD1 or make (USB) disk
bootable.
--out file write disks as fileN (default: bootdisk)
--32 create boot disks for 32 bit arch
--64 create boot disks for 64 bit arch
--96 create boot disks for both 32 & 64 bit (bi-arch)
--partition device make this disk with this partition bootable
--backup-mbr file save mbr to file
Examples:
mkbootdisk /media/cdrom
- write boot disks as bootdisk1 ... bootdiskN (N is approx. 7)
mkbootdisk --64 --out foo /media/cdrom
- write 64 bit boot disks as foo1 ... fooN
mkbootdisk --96 --partition /dev/sdb1 --backup-mbr mbr_old /media/cdrom
- copy install files to /dev/sdb1 and write new mbr to /dev/sdb
~~~

What am I missing? I tried mounting & unmounting the floppy, but I still get
the same error message.

Thanks again,

James

  • No further messages