Re: [SLE] OT - what is top telling me?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 01:27:06 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2006-05-20 at 00:47 +0200, I wrote:

> The Thursday 2006-05-18 at 08:49 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
>
> > No-one's got any suggestions regarding this discrepancy??
>
> I thought about it, but I don't really know what happens; I have noticed
> similar numbers in mine. I have a guess: that "VIRT" shows the assigned or
> memory, but maybe it has holes, or it hasn't been "located". Poor choice
> of words... I don't think I can express my idea well tonight.

I got another idea; I don't know if Linux does this, but I remember
Windows did, and perhaps still does. Windows can completely discard unused
code sections of programs and libraries; I don't mean swaping memory out,
but discard. If that part of the code is needed again, it is reloaded from
the original executable file. This way, it needs less swap file space.

Can Linux do a similar thing? Using swap space would be faster (when
reading back), I think, but if it does it could also help explain the
discrepancy you found in top.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson