Re: [SLE] More on the Java Licence
  • From: Kevanf1 <kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 11:31:38 +0100
On 20/05/06, kai <kai@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There was a question about the Java licence the other day. Here's an
interesting article on it, particularly in regards to Red Hat.

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/05/18/red_hat_sun_java_license/

Sun Microsystems' new GNU/Linux-friendly Java license does not go far enough
for Red Hat. It says Sun should have open-sourced Java instead.

Brian Stevens, Red Hat CTO, told The Register Sun should open-source its Java
Virtual Machine (JVM) (which is licensed by Red Hat) so developers can
improve the software's real-time capabilities.
<continued>

Oh, and on that note - KDE has joined the ODF alliance -
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/05/19/1931228 - why? Because
they're Kool! :)

Yep, I was wrong in my assumption that Sun had open sourced Java.
They've gone half way. They do keep saying it is their intention to
full open source Java though in accordance with the GNU Public
License. It's possible that they have to work out a few more hooks
that need unravelling before it is GPL'd.

Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire