Re: [SLE] Services in rc<x>.d directories
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 16:24:39 +0200 (CEST)

The Saturday 2006-05-20 at 14:40 +0500, Sergey Mkrtchyan wrote:

I'll just add a bit to the excellent answer by Leendert:

> And next one is: I just want to add something(for example xmms)

That example will not work: services are started by "root" before you log
in. That xmms needs you are logged in, and started by that user.

> to start
> automaticaly in runlevel 5, so in my /etc/init.d/rc5.d directory I
> created symbolic link to /usr/bin/xmms executable file with a name like

If you create the link manually, it will not work, either. Not for long,
in any case.

Please read:

man init.d

Also, the "The SuSE boot concept" chapter in the SuSE admin book - paper
or electronic.

- --
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson